Main Article Content

Abstract

Since the presence of the Internet, it has been immensely used globally and has become an essential tool for learning, therefore creating a positive and negative impact on students as avid users. The positive aspect of the Internet is that it assists in teaching and learning by making instantaneous access for information to be available at their fingertips. Despite its benefits, internet addiction may negatively impact students' life, causing them to be emotionally unstable, depressive, exhibiting poor time management, and poor academic performance. Students who do not have self-discipline and proper guidelines may be exposed to internet addiction. The aim of this study is to determine the effect of internet addiction to students' and the correlation to their emotional stability. This study was conducted among 236-degree students in UniKL RCMP. A survey form has been distributed using the Internet Addiction Test (IAT) and Depression, Anxiety, and Stress Scales (DASS21). A Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) was used to analyze the data. The results showed that all hypotheses formulated were considerably related. There are 37 percent of students facing problems with internet addiction, creating a significant impact to their life. The remaining 63 percent describes the average online user who are able to have self-control for internet usage. Using the Pearson Correlation, the relationship between internet addiction and anxiety were compared and correlated. A significant level of 0.05 was used to test the significance of the results. This study also found that internet addiction will lead students to develop anxiety problems, but not towards depression and stress. Anxiety appears to be a persistent predictor with internet addiction in both genders. The results indicated that internet addiction has a significant association to anxiety problems. In the future, the university must focus more on developing a holistic student intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually. This holistic and balanced development is crucial for the computer-savvy generation due to the challenging era that lies ahead. Proper knowledge should be imparted for them to choose the right tools and control their resources on the Internet. With the right awareness, students will know how to fully utilize the Internet without being dominated by it.

Keywords

Internet addiction Anxiety Depression Stress

Article Details

How to Cite
Latifah Abdul Aziz, Monarusnita Abu Bakar, Siti Noraihan Sheikh Ahmad, & Muhammad Asyraf Saifuddin. (2019). The effect of internet addiction on student development In UniKL RCMP. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences, 10(SPL1). https://doi.org/10.26452/ijrps.v10iSPL1.1684